We Represent You in the Probate

of an Estate

Our menu of services:

  • We Represent you as Executor or Administrator

  • We Accompany you to the Surrogate 

  • We Liquidate the estate assets

  • We Obtain a tax identification number

  • All necessary court filings

  • Estate and inheritance tax returns

  • Any other function you need

Contact us anytime for a confidential consultation (we never share your personal information with anyone).

What is the Probate process? 

Essentially, the Surrogate in each county in New Jersey serves as a repository for wills and records of the estates that have been previously probated.  You can research a deceased family members records here as well.  The probate process usually begins with a death.  Upon presentation of proper documents, such as a validly created will, an Executor or Administrator can be appointed to act on behalf of an estate.  Eventually an accounting may be filed to disclose how the assets were distributed.  Fees are charged for various services.

Call for a consultation any hour of the day or night to speak to a live receptionist (or leave voicemail after hours) or fire off an email for a fast response.

What does all this cost?

The price of a probate is relatively modest.  The attorney you choose to represent you should disclose his or her fee before beginning work.  Our office charges an hourly rate and we usually require a retainer to begin work.  Every estate is different and there is rarely an estate which can be billed on a flat fee basis.  However, you can hire our firm just to file the will, or just to prepare an estate tax return, for example, and then liquidate the assets yourself.  The asset liquidation process can be time consuming and frustrating, but we can assist you with any of the more challenging assets for a reasonable hourly rate.

Do I need a separate bank account? 

This is absolutely recommended.

Does every person who dies need a probate filed?

No.  A person who dies without assets does not need a probate.  Some people pass their assets to their spouse by having, for one example, a home which is titled as husband and wife.  But there are often assets which “fall through the cracks” which must be probated.  Most people should have a will prepared before they die just for this reason alone.  Once a surviving family member or friend discovers a will, it should then be filed in Probate, usually by the person named as Executor.

Contact us to discuss your situation over the phone or by email.  We can give you an estimate in most cases.